Kennet & Avon Canal
Kennet & Avon Canal at All Cannings - frozen!
Photo: AFCG Dec 2000
Built between 1796 and 1810 to transport coal, stone and other goods to London, the Canal gradually fell into dereliction after the London-Bristol railway was built in 1841. It was restored in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. It is now used as a leisure amenity, for canal boats, cycling, fishing, canoeing and, of course, walking.
Its 87 miles connect the rivers Avon and Thames, effectively connecting Bristol with London. The section between Devizes and Pewsey, which passes All Cannings just north of the village, is a beautiful & peaceful walk. Good pubs on the way include The Bridge at Horton, The Barge at Honeystreet and, a short walk from the canal into All Cannings, The Kings Arms.
It is owned and managed by British Waterways; there is also the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust which aims to safeguard and enhance this excellent country asset.